Harissa Chicken Recipe
Spice up chicken or just ways to use up Harissa? Check out this Harissa chicken recipe that will give dinner a beautiful vista!
- 2 pieces / 50g Dried Hot chili pepper or more to taste (Guajillo, Chipotle, Arbol…)
- 2 large / 200g Red peppers
- 1 teaspoon / 1g Cumin (whole)
- 1 teaspoon / 1.5g Coriander (whole)
- 3 cloves / 12g Garlic
- 4 tablespoons / 50g Tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon / 2g Paprika
- ½ piece / 20g Lemon’s juice
- 1 teaspoon / 5g Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons / 15g Extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoon / 100g Harissa (Check out how to make: Harissa Recipe)
- 8 pieces / 1000g Chicken pieces
- 1 teaspoon / 1.3g Coriander (whole)
- 1 teaspoon / 1.3g Cumin (whole)
- 1 medium / 100g Onion
- 10 cloves / 30g Garlic
- 1 teaspoon / 2g Paprika
- 2 teaspoons / 10g Salt
How to make Harissa chicken
- Make the harissa by grinding the spices then working together the ingredients in a food processor. For more detailed instructions, check out how to make: Harissa Recipe
- De-bone the chicken if necessary. Big chunks of meat cook through longer which results drying out on low heat or burning on high.
- Grind coriander, cumin then cut onion and finely chop garlic. Measure paprika and salt.
- Add harissa and mix everything well together.
- Let it marinate for a couple of hours, preferably 24 hours in the fridge.
- Once the marination is done get ready for cooking. The easiest method is just throwing everything onto a baking tray and roast the chicken harissa in the oven just like Oven Roasted Chicken Thighs Recipe
- Faster and maybe tastier method is roasting them on the cooktop in our favorite skillet. Heat skillet to medium high, pour in a bit of oil then place the meat on. Onions tend to burn during the process so it’s a good idea to remove them beforehand and fry them separately if desired.
- Roast until the bottom gets golden brown color, then flip them over, about 2 – 5 minutes.
- Once both sides gets golden brown color, the pinkness disappears in the inside of the thickest part that should happen when the chicken meat internal temperature reaches 165°F / 74°C, about 2 – 5 minutes more.
What does harissa taste like?
Harissa is made of chili peppers and tomato sauce so once we overcome of its hotness we’ll experience the acidity of tomato and with a bit of luck the additional spices like cumin and coriander.
What is harissa made of?
Harissa is a hot chili sauce that is made of hot chili pepper, garlic, cumin, coriander, tomato, paprika, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil.
What can harissa be used for?
Harissa can be used for a myriad of dishes as a condiment, ingredient or main protagonist. Making Harissa chicken is only one of the thousands ways of using Harissa.
How spicy hot is harissa?
Depends on how spicy we make it. Of course if we buy them ready-made then it’s up to the brand’s maker to decide its spiciness.