This Viennetta ice cream recipe is our summer hit. Born in the 80s and it’s still the best.
It unites the smooth creamy vanilla taste and the strong, delicious dark chocolate. I would say the perfect combination.
I’ve been missing this taste since we are on low sugar, no sugar diet so this summer I decided to make my own, homemade Viennetta ice cream without sugar. I have to say it’s an enormous success and a big accomplishment. It tastes heavenly.
- 100+25 grams dark chocolate with stevia (100 grams for the layers and 25 grams for the topping) (like this)
- 4 egg whites (fresh eggs)
- 0.5 litres whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup or other optional sweetener of your choice
- Vanilla extract
- 2 handfuls of nuts (optional)
How to make homemade Viennetta ice cream:
- Start with melting 100 grams of chocolate as it needs the most time to prepare. Break chocolate into pieces and put it into a small saucepan. Place saucepan of chocolate on a slightly bigger saucepan of something water. Stir occasionally until melted completely.
- Whilst you are waiting for the chocolate to melt prepare the baking paper where you plan to spread chocolate.
- Make three thin rectangle sleets by spreading melted chocolate on the baking paper. The size of them has to be the same as the size of your baking tin.
- Put them in the in the fridge and continue with the next step.
- Put the cream with the vanilla extract and agave syrup into a mixing bowl and whip it until the whipped cream forms soft peaks.
- Put egg whites in a different bowl. Be careful not to have anything else in the bowl because if you leave any drop of yolk in, the egg whites won’t raise the same way. Whisk until it’s hard. Something like this:
- Gently stir whipped cream and egg whites until it incorporates well. Be careful not to break the foamy egg. You have to get an even mixture at the end.
- Cover the tin with cling film. You shouldn’t miss this step as at the end it will help you take the ice cream or of the tin.
- Put some cream into the tin. Then put the first chocolate sleet on top.
- Repeat putting layers into the tin finishing off with the creamy mixture.
- Pop tin into the freezer for at least 3 or even better if 4 hours.
- Melt the rest of the chocolate (25 grams). Pour it on top of the frozen Viennetta ice cream. Optionally sprinkle shredded nuts on top. (Be fast as the chocolate will go hard quickly when you pour it in top of the frozen ice cream.)
- Slice and serve your homemade Vienetta ice cream. Enjoy!
You will find these useful for this recipe:
Kneading out the every day life nuisances under the low humming noise of the airflow oven.