Easy cheese straws recipe is a great starter and a fun party hit. Simple to make with easy to follow instructions.
Cheese straws are truly perfect to serve for game nights when you want to enjoy matches and tunnel your over-excitement by nibbling on something delicious and gulping it down with some summer drink.
Not only that but cheese straws are also ideal for kids parties if you fancy serving something homemade savoury snack for the children or their parents.
For kids parties, I simply modify the shape of the straws, making them wavy and stick two raisins as eyes at one of the ends of the straws so they look like little wiggly worms. Children just love it.
You don’t need to think or prepare a lot to make them and they taste fabulous.
So here is the best recipe how to make them:
- 300 grams flour
- 150 grams butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- A pinch of salt as you like it
- 200 grams cheese (I use randomly any kind of cheese that I find in the fridge but our favourite cheese straws are made with Cheddar.)
You will also need:
- Rolling pin
- Baking paper
How to make the best cheese straws:
1. Measure flour and put it in a medium bowl with a pinch of salt in what you want to knead it.
2. Measure and dice butter.
3. Grate cheese and put it aside in a bowl for later.
4. Mix butter with flour. Use your fingertips to rub in the butter until lumps are all gone.
Now the texture should look like breadcrumbs.
5. Stir in the egg and add a couple of tablespoons (3-4 depending on the texture) of water to the mixture.
6. Knead it into a firm dough. Now it should look like something like this:
7. Roll out the dough to a thin square shape. Cut about 1 cms wide strips out of the the square (vertically). Then cut the square in half (horizontally).
8. Preheat oven to 180 C degree.
9. Cover tray with baking sheet.
10. Transfer strips carefully onto the tray.
11. Sprinkle grated cheese on each straw.
(If you’re making the wiggly worms for kids party, it’s time to put raisin eyes at the end of the cheese covered straws too.)
12. Put tray into the pre-heated oven and bake cheese straws for 10-15 minutes, until crisp.
13. Take tray out when cheese melted and golden brown then leave to cool on the tray.
Serve it with some summer drink like Zesty sugar free lemonade to be the best party host this summer.
You will also need:
Kneading out the every day life nuisances under the low humming noise of the airflow oven.